Can’t-live-without items for baby
Here are five of my top can’t-live-without items for baby:
1) Playtex Baby Fridge-to-go pack: just pop this handy bottle bag in the freezer overnight and the built-in cool-pack will keep baby’s bottles or food fresh and cold for up to 12 hours. I bring this up to bed with me each night, to save myself a trip downstairs for a bottle during the wee hours. (Fortunately, I haven’t had to open the pack until 5 or 6 a.m. lately, since baby’s been sleeping pretty well, but it really made a difference when he was up every three hours!).
2) Avent bottle warmer: warm baby’s bottle to the perfect temperature without getting out of bed (I have one on my night table). The warmer also heats up jars of baby food, which I’m sure will be used each day once my little guy starts eating baby food.
3) Boppy pillow: winner of ‘Best baby product’awards, this pillow is a life-saver! It saves my arms, neck and back from too much strain during feedings. Baby loves to be propped-up beside me with the Boppy pillow while I throw in a load of laundry or need to otherwise be hands-free.
4) Maya Wrap Sling: My baby loves nestling close to me in his sling. I do not ‘wear’ him all the time, but do know when holding him in the sling will be an instant cure for his fussiness and/or help him nod off for a little nap The sling frees up my hands but gives baby the sense of being held. There is a lot of info out there, by the way, about the benefits of baby-wearing (it is particularly helpful for colicky babies).
5) Good, ol‘ fashioned pacifier: Yep, that little thing you stick in baby’s mouth when he needs to suck, but isn’t hungry. I did not give one to my older boys but have found it to be just what my new little guy needs sometimes. Why fight it, if he’s content? Fortunately, he hasn’t cried for it in the middle of the night; he just sucks on it occasionally during the day, when he needs to ‘relax’ (and I do, too!).