Healthy Eating For Expectant Moms During the Holidays
If you’re expecting, you’re probably worried about gaining too much weight during pregnancy. If you’re pregnant during the holidays, you have even more to be concerned about. With all the holiday dinners, leftovers and baked goods lying around, it’s hard not to overindulge over the holidays, but here are some healthy tips to follow if you want to keep your weight gain on track this season:
- Choose a low-fat salad dressing, such as oil and vinegar.
- If you have a choice, choose turkey over ham because it is leaner, and sidestep the gravy if you’re looking to keep your calories in check.
- Try to fill your plate with a variety of vegetables and whole grains.
- Have a small snack, such as fruit or cottage cheese, a few hours before having a meal in someone else’s home.
- You don’t have to skip dessert, but choose one item instead of sampling several.
- If you’ve had the meal in your home, try to send leftovers home with your guests so you aren’t snacking on them a week later. Send extra desserts to work with your husband to keep temptations at bay.
Do you have any healthy tips for expecting moms?