US Stats about Twins and Multiples
Did you know …
- The number of twin births has increased by 50% in the last 20 years; the number of triplet births is up by over 400%; the birth rate for higher-order multiples (4 babies and more!!!) is also on the rise.
- In 1996, there were 50,000 twin births in the US (100,000 babies), 5298 babies were born as triplets, 560 babies were born as quadruplets, and 81 were born as quintuplets or higher-order multiples.
- In 1997, more twins were born to women aged 45 to 49 years of age than during the 10 years of the 80s.
- Moms of white, non-Hispanic ethnicity have the highest chance of having twins and multiple; Asian (especially Filipinos and Chinese!) have the lowest twinning rates.
- Of all the states, Nebraska and New Jersey have the highest triplet (+) birth rates ? their rates a twice that of the national average!
P. Maxwell Malmstrom & Janet Poland, 1999. The Art of Parenting Twins. ISBN 0-345-42267-8