Got twins? What to plan for your first week home.
I bet you didn’t know that about one in 25 births in the United States is a multiple birth. Did you also know that your risk of having a multiple birth goes up significantly after age 30. Yea, I know. Can you believe it? Well, I can. It happened to me.
I got pregnant with twins when I was 31. And I already had two single births at home already. We were alittle scared, but we thought, “What could possibly happen?” We already had two. How much work can two more be?
Let me tell you, one baby is alot of work. Any parent out there will attest to that. But twins, man-o-man, they are some serious baby work. But it can be done. And if you prepare for two, you will be ahead of the game when you bring them home and find out they are the work of 4 babies.
Before you even have those little blessings, there are some things you should do to make the first week home alittle easier.
- Get support. Family, friends, neighbors, everyone who offers help–take them up on it.
- Buy 4 of all clothes and bedding so you won’t run out. (laundry might get away from you the first week or two so just buy extra in the beginning)
- Stock up on diapers and wipes. You can never have enough, right?
- Have plenty of formula and bottles. You really don’t want to be going to the store at 4 o’clock in the morning. Click here for some places that will help with free stuff. Who can resist free stuff? No one!
If you have these things when you come home with the twins, it will be easier. Here are some things you can expect the first week home:
- No sleep. Now there is 2 crying babies. This is where the support comes in. Have them babysit your other kids so the twins are not so overwhelming. Have a few people come in and babysit the twins so you can take a nap. Work on getting them on a eating/sleeping schedule. It will be a lifesaver in the future.
- Bottles, pooping, more bottles and more dirty diapers. This is where the stocking up of diapers, wipes, and even clothing comes in. If you thought one new born pooped & ate all the time, just wait until you have two. You can do it, just be prepared to take your garbage out everyday.
- Second thoughts. I know you probably don’t want to hear about any second thoughts that you and your hubby have about bringing the twins home, but you will have them. It might be just for a second, but it will come. Just take it one day at a time, call all your loved ones to help, and get sleep whenever possible.
Just remember, you can do this. Yes, it is alot of work. Yes, it takes up most of your time the first week or so. But that is why I am telling you what to expect. That is why you prepared for bringing them home. Babies are always alot of work. But the payoff is amazing. But now you have a double payoff…it is almost like the lottery—except with more poop.