The Day After Halloween: Which Candy is Safe For my Toddler?
If your family participated in the holiday celebrations, you are probably overwhelmed at the sheer amount of candy your children have gotten in a few hours!
I admit that I don’t buy candy for my kids. When Halloween arrives, they absolutely love to trick-or-treat and they actually list the different types of candy they have gotten, along with the amount of that type of candy. Yes, they construct GRAPHS based on their candy. Then, they begin to trade amongst themselves – or fight amongst themselves. Our son was just old enough to go trick-or-treating with his sisters this year, but he really isn’t old enough to eat all of the candy he received.
Perhaps your little pumpkin went trick or treating and now you are wondering what to do with all of that candy. You may? be wondering exactly what kinds of candy are appropriate for your child to eat. I’ll share our system with you, but remember to keep your child in mind when making food decisions. Each child is different, and what is ok for one child may not be for another.
Lollipops are usually a good choice
They may be sticky, but older babies (around a year) are able to enjoy lollipops. Be sure to supervise your child and to make sure that they don’t bite off a small piece, which could be a choking hazard. I only allow my son to eat ‘regular’lollipops; not the kind with the candy in the center.
Avoid sticky and chewy candy
Candy that is sticky and chewy is a bad choice as these are bad for you child’s teeth and they can pose a choking hazard.
Avoid small pieces
If your child is young, small round candy pieces can also be a chocking hazard, even if they are easy to eat.
Avoid nuts and peanut butter
Nuts of course are a choking hazard. Peanut butter can cause allergies or a reaction. In some candy, the peanut butter is chewy or sticky, and can also be a chocking hazard. I actually don’t feed my children peanut butter until they are around 2 years old anyway but I’ve heard of people who wait until their children are around 3.
Chocolate is usually a good choice
I say usually, because the chocolate may have crispy bits, nuts or peanut butter mixed with it. I find that the ‘snack bar’size is perfect for my son to eat. Be forewarned however – chocolate can get VERY messy and it’s hard to remove from the carpet and paint on the walls!
Remember that this is a great opportunity to get your child to brush his teeth too! After we eat a piece of candy, we make sure to brush our toddler’s teeth. He loves every minute of it and I’m hoping that we’re creating good habits for the future! Of course, it’s best to also limit the amount of candy that your children eat for a bunch of reasons. I usually allow the children a piece of candy a day.
What happens to all of the sticky, small, chewy, and peanut butter filled candy that our son can’t eat? Well, my husband and I can eat small, chewy and peanut butter filled candy – isn’t that a good thing. I guess you could say that everyone in our house got treated this holiday!