Five Things to Do Before Returning to Work
As your maternity leave winds down and thoughts of returning to work begin to settle in, you may start to feel overwhelmed. There are a few simple things to do before you return to work after maternity leave to make the transition easier for you, your spouse and your baby. Here are five things to do before returning to work:
- Set up day care. If you haven’t already done so, decide who will watch baby during the day. Does your company offer day care, or will you use a service or a family member?
- Try on your work clothes. While you are still on maternity leave, try on the clothes you plan to wear to work. Don’t be surprised if your pre-baby clothes don’t yet fit – many women take several months to return to their ‘regular’ clothes, and some might not fit in them again at all. Try on clothes in plenty of time so that you can shop for new pieces if necessary.
- Plan meals. Put aside one or two of those casseroles your mother in law brought over and stick it in the freezer – it’ll make a great work night meal when you come home and you and your spouse are too tired to cook. Also, if you have time, put together a few more meals to freeze. Make double portions of meals, or prepare meals to go directly into the freezer. Meals that freeze well include casseroles, meatballs, stews and meatloaf.
- Plan a dry run. If you will be away all day, plan a dry run of your day before it becomes your new routine. Figure out how much extra time you need to get ready and get baby ready in the morning, including the trip to day care if necessary.
- Relax. Enjoy your time off and the special bonding time you are sharing with your new baby.