5 Ways to Increase Breast Milk Supply
While breastfeeding might be a natural way to feed your newborn child, it isn?t always the easiest. A variety of problems can arise when learning to breastfeed, low milk supply being among the most common. Returning to work, exhaustion, and simply not eating enough or drinking enough fluids can be cause for a reduction in breast milk supply. Fortunately, there are some things you can do about it; try one or more of these five common home remedies to boost your milk supply.
1. Pump or breastfeed more frequently. If you are exclusively breastfeeding your baby, try using a breast pump and pumping for five to ten minutes after each nursing session. You can also try adding a pumping session or two to your routine during the day to boost your supply, such as first thing in the morning or while your baby sleeps or naps. Use a hospital-grade pump if you can ? especially if you are exclusively pumping; it?ll help to more efficiently remove your milk.
2. Drink plenty of fluids. Keep track of how much water you?re drinking during the day; is it enough? Try drinking a glass of water every time your baby nurses to ensure that you?re drinking enough.
3. Rest and relax. While it can be difficult to get much rest with a newborn, make an effort to take care of yourself, rest when you can, and get enough sleep. Try taking a nap during the day or just resting on the sofa with your little one.
4. Eat oatmeal. Many new moms have said that adding oatmeal to their diets increased their milk supply. Steel-cut oatmeal is the most effective (available at most health stores). Have a bowl or oatmeal for breakfast, or snack on oatmeal-granola during the day.
5. Take away the pacifier. It may help to take away the pacifier if your baby uses one; his or her need to suck will ensures that enough time is spent at the breast in order for baby to be fed and your supply to be sufficient.
Many moms also rely on herbal remedies, such as fenugreek, to increase their supply. While it can be a short-term breastmilk booster, you should always consult with your doctor before taking any herbal remedies.